Tuesday, August 19, 2014

BBQ Square

It looks pretty awesome at night
Located at Palarivattom, BBQ Square has one of the best locations that any food joint can have in such a crowded city. The restaurant itself looks pretty good. It has a very simple and elegant appearance on the outside while the interiors have a very good aesthetic appeal. The arrangements made for seating are pretty great too. The only problem that I had with the interiors was the lack of ventilation, but it was not that big of a problem because it isn’t that hot inside.
The restaurant is open from 12 in the noon to 12 at night. It offers a variety of dishes in the grill, kebab, and barbeque category. It also serves burgers and salads too. So, I guess the vegetarians won’t be completely left out here. But since I am not one, I won’t go into details about the vegetarian dishes.
The service was excellent here. The waiters were very polite and very attentive too. These guys were well groomed too. So I wasn’t worried of them contaminating my food. They were bringing out food pretty quick.

Now talking about the food, I would rank it over average. I cannot say that it was very excellent though. But the fact that some of the items mentioned in the menu weren’t available was a total disappointment. I visited this place hoping to get some barbecue beef. But this was unavailable since the chef who handles beef was still “sleeping”! The next dish that caught my eye on the menu was barbecued jalapeno wings, but this dish too was unavailable. This was utterly disappointing since the waiter told me that the only dishes that were available at that time were the grilled chicken, barbecue fish, and some kebabs. Since I wasn’t in a mood for seafood, I ordered the grilled chicken. The proper name given to the dish is ‘Turkish Spicy Grill’. I also ordered a drink called the ‘Tongue Twister’, which the waiter said was a drink made with oranges and mint.
The complete order

 The food arrived in about like 10-15 minutes and was pretty warm. I mean, it was neither very hot, nor very cold. It was just the perfect warmth. There were four pieces in total, which was accompanied by 2 pieces of kuboos (which is an Arabian flat bread made of wheat flour and such), and two different kinds of condiments- the usual garlic paste and a kind of spicy paste which they call a ‘Spicy Thoom’ (I am guessing it is made with pickled green chillies and mustard paste and stuff). The garlic paste was good, but my favourite was the Spicy Thoom. The kuboos was just the same as I would be served at any other Arabic restaurant. The grilled chicken was which supposedly called “Spicy” was not at all in agreement with the name. The first serving of these was free, but a second helping would be subject to be charged. 
The chicken was nice and crispy on the outside, which is one of my most favourite things I like in grilled chicken. But as I kept eating and went deeper into the meat, I found that the insides weren’t as tasty as the outside. The inside of the meat was dry and not very flavoured. The Spicy Thoom actually helped a lot in masking this flavourlessness and simply made the chicken taste more incredible than it actually was. 
The drink that stole my heart
Now coming to the drink, I was a little extra curious to how good the drink would taste, because after the experience with the chicken, I didn’t expect something miraculous. But, I have to say, the drink was more than what I expected it to be. It was simply beautiful. The appearance itself made me like the drink a lot! The mix of oranges and mint was simply awesome!! It was pulpy and thick, and was just not some watery orange juice. They had used the pulpy orange juice and blended the mint into the drink. I loved the drink the most out of all the other food that I had ordered.
Concluding, I would say that this restaurant is pretty nice. Even though the chicken was a little dry, I loved the entire ambience of the place. Also, since the drink stole my heart, I cannot say that this place wasn’t good. I will surely visit the place again and review it again after I get a taste of the barbecue beef that they serve and the Tongue Twister will surely be ordered once more! The prices here are not too bad, since anywhere outside too I would have to pay around the same amount to get grilled chicken. So in short, even though it was a turn down initially, it was actually pretty good in the end!







3 comments:

  1. Gud visit more and write more

    ReplyDelete
  2. the place sounds great..will surely try this next time..and do write more..looking forward to it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanx a lot. This was helpful. Planning to visit bbq square and try out bbq beef with dear ones. Tongue twister sounds awesome too. Looking forward for more of your updates.

    ReplyDelete