Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Flakes Bake House

       Flakes is a bake house near Chottanikkara, on the Tripunithura-Chottanikkara road. My visit there was purely not planned. I was on my way back from an exam, with my friends, when one of them suggested this place.

                The place has average look on the outside, while the interior was a little better. Personally, I have been to better bake houses. The main part of the building was the bakery, and there was a partition that separated the bakery from the larger dining area. I found it a little uncomfortable that all tables could seat only around 6 people. There weren’t tables for smaller groups and since we were a group of about 10-11, about 3 of us had to sit separately on this huge table. But the tables and the dining area in general was pretty clean. The washroom however was an entirely different story. The water flowed in a very thin and weak stream and the basins were not cleaned well. This was the only problem with the cleanliness.

                Coming to service, the waiters were quite polite, but that is not all that matters at the end of the day. Our order took about half an hour to arrive. We had ordered food that would usually be ready made at any hotel and yet the delay. But I have to say, the bills arrived pretty fast.

Chicken Biryani
               
      Now coming to the main part, the Food! I had ordered a plate of Chicken Biryani. I have had different types of biryani, and I can assure you that the biryani I ate here was nowhere near even half of the best biryanis that I have ever eaten. The biryani was not at all hot to point out the first problem (considering that they took half an hour to bring it out!), but I wouldn’t mind overlooking that fact. Firstly, the rice used was the ordinary raw rice, rather than the usual basmati rice that I have seen being used in every other biryani. This rice was well cooked, but was a little on the dry side. Secondly, the masala, which is one of the best parts of a biryani, totally lacked the spiciness and flavor that clearly differentiates a biryani from its look-alike, ‘The Kabsa’. The masala was so less in quantity when compared to the rice and had not mixed well with the rice. Finally, the chicken pieces in the biryani, the most important part, weren’t cooked properly at all. They were fully cooked, but they weren’t allowed to absorb any of the masala that is present in the biryani. They basically were a bunch of cooked chicken pieces (2 to be exact) in the biryani. I am more used to chicken pieces that have been initially fried a little before being added to the biryani. If not it is supposed to be a ‘Kabsa’. But this dish was nowhere near that either. Now speaking of the condiments served along with the biryani, the curd salad served was too runny and was low on salt. There was this thick chutney (I am guessing it was mango based), that accompanied it. I loved this chutney and it was the one thing that helped in flavoring the biryani actually. After a biryani, I also ordered a Chocolate Swiss roll for dessert. It was a little dry, but then the filling was very creamy. So I actually liked the Swiss roll. Putting it simply, the dessert was much better than the main course itself!


                Concluding, I would say that the Flakes, is a better bakery than a restaurant. Also, it is a little overpriced, because the food doesn’t actually stand up to the quality that can be availed at such a price. My friends had the same opinions since the order they had placed too, were a little off on the quality side. The service could be made faster because slowing the service down and yet serving cold food is seriously annoying! If you w are hungry and have no other option, you could go here. But, otherwise I would seriously not recommend this place to anybody, because much better food and service can be obtain for almost the same rates, elsewhere.


No comments:

Post a Comment